Chiesa Santa Maria Assunta di FaedisThe church of Santa Maria Assunta was built on the site, which since ancient times had been a centre of cult and devotion for the inhabitants of these areas. Restoration works during the course of many years finally revealed the presence of a structure too, most likely a small Roman temple (many Roman coins were found on site, hence the assumption).

The church existing today was consecrated in 1934, after about twenty years of work. It was built on the foundations of the previous church, dating back to the XIVth Century. During excavations intended for restoration, the remains of a church were found, right at the center of the existing one, which could be dated back to the V-VIIth Century

Single-naveled, with an ample presbytery and chapels on the sides, the church sports a scenographically baroque altar and quite a few paintings and frescos from the XVIth Century. During the reconstruction works, about 918 q of marble were used, which came from the Saint Peter’s Cathedral in Rome and were donated by the Vatican. An important help towards the building of this church came from Mons. Luigi Pelizzo, which was from Faedis and a prominent figure in the Italian ecclesiastical environment of the early 20th Century.

The Church was dedicated to Santa Maria Assunta, a fact documented since ancient times. Besides the main parish church, two other small ones were (still are) consecrated to the Virgin Mary (the Zucco and Collevillano ones, that is). This can easily lead to the assumption that the cult of the Mother of Christ has been widespread in the area since ancient times.


Chiesa San Michele, CampeglioStudying the evolution of the cult of Saint Michael in Friuli, one can assume that the origins of this church were to be dated back to the time of the Longobardic domination, since these people were devotees to the saint.

Certain information about its existence were only available, though, after the Soffumbergo Castle became a summer mansion for the Patriarchs of Aquileia (1240). The 1976 earthquake severely damaged the church and only in recent years it has been back to its normal functions.

Of particular interest is the Saint Michael mosaic in the apse, a gift of the Friuli Venezia Giulia Police, by the painter Poz and executed by the mosaic makers of Spilimbergo.


Chiesa San Pietro degli Slavi, FaedisThis one was originally built at the end of the XIIIth Century, then partially redone during the XVth, when the beautiful façade was built. The peculiar shape of the building and its stylistical traits made it so, that the church could be considered among the constructions by the Slavonic artists of the Skofja Loka school, particularly by the Andrea Lack circle. The wooden altar inside, in a Renaissance style, was the work of artist Giovanni Martini, from the “scuola dei tolmezzini” (Tolmezzo School). It is currently situated in one of the chapels of the Parish church of Santa Maria Assunta.

The church got its “degli slavi” name, because it was built around the year 1300 by the people living in the Faedis mountains, who were mostly of Slavonic origins, hence the name.

The small church is situated in inner Borgo San Pietro, along the road taking to Canal di Grivò.


Chiesa Santa Maria in Colvillano, FaedisAccording to local tradition, this church should date back to the Xth Century, but the earliest documents stating its existence were actually from early 1300. The current building was supposedly the work of the “Confraternita di Santa Maria” (Saint Mary Confraternity), which was founded in 1595 and whose members were given care of the church.

During these last 50 years, it was robbed several times and most of the inner furniture was stolen. Nowadays, only a few frescos depicting “prophets” remain, attributed to Gaspare Negro (1530).


Chiesa Santa Maria in Zucco, FaedisThis church originated from the ancient castle one, which according to some scholars was dedicated to Saint George. The current building is bigger in size.

It was built in the XVIth Century and heavily redone during the XVIIth. Inside, a fresco depicts the “Virgin Mary breastfeeding her Child”, set in the wooden altar and dating back to the XVth century, by an unknown master. In recent years, it was restored thanks to the local A.N.A. group.


Chiesa San Rocco, FaedisSituated on a hilltop about 100 meters from the parish church, it was originally dedicated to Saint George and probably built at the same time as the castles. It was enlarged and restored in early 1300 and in the following years became a favourite destination for people devoted to contemplative life. In the XVIth century it became the site for the San Rocco Confraternity.

Inside the church is a wooden altar, dating back to 1500 and a tryptich depicting Saint Rocco at the center, Saint George and Saint Sebastian at the sides. Attribution is uncertain: it might have been the work of Giacomo Secante (1543-1585) or Secante secanti (1571-1636).

Recent restoration works unearthed some important frescos from 1300-1400, which were attributed to the school of Vitale da Bologna, who was active in Friuli during that time. It’s a cycle of frescos dedicated to Saint George, telling about his life, gestures and death. A sensational find, which made the artistic patrimony of the Faedis area even more precious.


Chiesa Santa Maddalena, FaedisA building from the first half of the XIVth Century, it is situated right above and near the neighborhood of Gradischiutta, which means “fortified place”; in fact, traces of that abound in the proximity of the church. It’s only logical to suppose that it was built to commemorate a destroyed fort.

Otherwise, it would be very difficult to explain why it was built in such a secluded and uncomfortable place, given that to this day it is only reachable by a hiking trail. Up until the year 1500 had the chapel a flourishing life: it was the destination of many pilgrimages by nearby countries populations.

Inside there is a fresco, unfortunately in very bad conditions. Its two layers are superimposed and the more recent one might date back to 1300, perhaps by the school of Vitale da Bologna.


Chiesetta di Sant'Elena, CostapianaThe church was built in 1470-1472 by the inhabitants of the neighborhood, with help from the Pedrosa and Costapiana ones. It was consecrated on May 23, 1473. The building is situated on a small plain next to the crossing of the streets to Canebola and Costapiana.

The church was all built in stone, with a large outside porch and in a gothic style. Its exterior beauty matches the interior one. The ribbed apse is perfectly gothic, as well, while the XVIIth Century altar is in a baroque style. The whole original structure of Sant’Elena is well-preserved to this day.


Chiesa di San Martino in RaschiaccoThe origins of this church were probably in the time of the Longobardic domination, when the cult of saint Martin was widespread. It might be dated back to the XIIIth Century, but the earliest documents attesting its existence were from 1328.

Inside there is a 1700 marble altar with statues, although one’s attention gets drawn towards the altar’s “pala” (panel), which hangs on the left wall (currently under restoration). Dated back to 1748 and attributed to carnic painter Nicolò Grassi, it depicts Saint Martin on his horse, doing charity; Saint Agatha, Saint Nicholas and Saint Apollonia are at his feet. The Church is also preserving a IVth Century small “pala”, depicting Saint Lucy.


Chiesa di San Rocco in Canale, CampeglioThe history of the small church devoted to Saint Rocco is closely tied to the Soffumbergo castle one. In fact, during the post-octonian time it was common practice building a church inside the castle, in order to satisfy both the noble people’s and the “sottani” villici’s  spiritual needs.

Originally was the small church entitled to Saint John the Evangelist, it was perhaps built between the XIIth and XIIIth centuries.

The current building could be dated back to the half of 1400 instead. Entitlement to San Rocco was probably later, between the XVIth and XVIIth centuries. The stone building shows a rectangular room and a square apse with a  cross ceiling.


Chiesa di Santi Giovanni e Paolo, ColloredoThe church was built during the time when the chaplains weren’t holding services in the Soffumbergo Castle Church anymore, though the latter was only a few hundred meters away (this was around 1420). Analysing the building, it’s obvious that in the course of centuries it underwent many restorations; actually traces of buildings from the XIVth and even XVIth Century are easy to spot. The map of the church is rectangular, with exposed thrusses

There’s a wooden altar from 1700 with two side doors “a cimasa”, depicting the saints Vincenzo Ferreri on the right and Valentine on the left. In the niche, there is a staue of Madonna with Child, standing in for a “pala”, which was put away in the sacristy, waiting for some serious restoration. It depicts the Virgin Mary with Child, appearing to two saints: Joseph and Anthony from Padua, supposedly dating back to the XVIIIth century).


Chiesa di San Pietro in ValleIt was the XVIIth Century, when the inhabitants of Valle asked for the construction of a new church, being that the San Lorenzo one (now lost, it was situated on the mount of the same name, not far from Valle) was difficult to reach.

The Valle Chapel was blessed on July 30, 1756 after many years of waiting and working on it. It recently underwent restoration, which eliminated extensive damages caused by the 1976 earthquake.


Chiesa di Santa Maria delle Grazie in Canal di GrivòSaint Helena had been the Canal di Grivò church for four centuries. With the village growing bigger, it became too small and uncomfortable, so that there was an evident decrease in participation to mass and catechism.

In order to put a remedy to this situation, a big parsonage was built in 1800 and in later years a new church and steeple followed. So could Canal di Grivò finally have a place for devotion and structures fit for studying and catechism. The construction was made possible thanks to the sacrifices of the local people and parish priest Don Quargnassi.


Chiesetta di Santa Margherita in CostalungaThe existing structure was built in 1905 over the original foundations, which supposedly date back to the XVIth Century. After being left in a state of abandon for many years, it is currently undergoing restoration. The church was consecrated on September 11, 2016.


Chiesa di San Lorenzo in RonchisThe Ronchis church was built by the Count Freschis in 1734, together with the local inhabitants. It is currently assumed, though, that a chapel in Ronchis already existed, since the Catapan lets it be known about donations to the “Ecclesiae S. Laurenti de Ronchis”.


Chiesa di San Giovanni Battista, CanebolaEarly information about the existence of this church date back to 1453. It had quite a tormented history; in fact, informations are available, on how it was twice destroyed and rebuilt, in 1737 (when it was also enlarged) and in 1871. It suffered extensive damages in 1976 earthquake, needing some heavy restoration.


Chiesa di Santa Maria Addolorata, ClapThe church was consecrated in 1862. The bell tower was completed in 1888.
A Cause of the earthquake of 1976 was severely damaged and the bell tower largely destroyed.
The Church was restored in 1985 and on the base of the bell tower were placed on a metal structure with the old bells.
Every September is organized the feast of "Perdon de Madone" (Forgiveness of Our Lady), and on that occasion the statue of the Madonna Addolorata is carried in procession.