Il Comune di Faedis
Faedis and its area are situated right near the Colli Orientali del Friuli, the Grivò torrent flows through its whole territory.
Up north, the Mount Joanaz towers over the whole valley; it brings back memories of the past Partisan Resistance war, together with the Porzus Alp and the small fractions of Clap and Canebola. It also serves as morphological limit of a border land.
Cartina del Comune di Faedis



: 46,61 Kmq.
(20% Lowlands, 35% Hill, 45% Mountain)

Abitants: 2945 (1455 M - 1490 F / 1297 fam.) gen. 2017

Borders: a N with Slovenia and the communes of Taipana and Pulfero, to E with the commune of Torreano, a S with the commune of Remanzacco, a O with the commune of Povoletto and to NO with the commune of Attimis

Torrents: Grivò di Faedis (1), Grivò di Raschiacco (2), Malina (3)

h max on sea: 1102 meters
h min on sea: 117 meters



abitants: 1481
height on sea: 170 mt

It is the main centre of the Commune. It is situated at the mouth of the Grivò Valley, in a place surrounded by hills and greenery. Quoted for the first time in 1027, it is a historically rich village and belonged to the Cucagna family until the XVIIIth Century. Faedis was born as a junction of neighborhoods, situated on both sides of the river. By growing and growing they gave origin to the main town.



abitants: 771
height on sea: 135 mt

Campeglio is the second main town in the whole Municipality. It is an ancient location, as the ruins of the Soffumbergo castle demonstrate, a summer mansion for the Patriarch of Aquileia.
The Mosaic of San Michele is particularly suggestive. Find it in the parish church, rebuilt after the 1976 earthquake. The village stretches itself along the road to Cividale.



abitants: 214
height on sea: 179 mt

Raschiacco was first mentioned in 1321. The village grew around the small San Martino Church, which many historians believe to be from the year 1200. Raschiacco is situated at the feet of the hills, in the middle of numerous vineyards, which are the origin of many excellent wines.



abitants: 159
height on sea: 129 mt

Ronchis played a very important role in the history of the Commune of Faedis. During the XVth Century its two villas, Freschi and Partistagno actually became the main residences of the two noble families of the same name, originating from the Cucagna dynasty. This fraction is situated along the road to Udine and mainly grew around its tiny square.

Canal di Grivò


abitants: 103
height on sea: 228 mt

Confirmed information about this village was only to be had during the Cucagna times, although studying the ethymology of its name, clearly Celtic, guesses about even more ancient origins are not unjustified. Canal di Grivò is situated on the banks of the torrent bearing the same name, right where the two mountains are closer to each other, resulting in a sort of creek.



abitants: 110
height on sea: 669 mt

Canebola probably originated during the time of the Slavic migrations (VIth-IXth Century), which had those populations settle in the mountains and cliffs of the Natisone and Torre valleys. In 1930, there were still no streets taking there and because of this, the neighborhood somehow grew apart from the rest of the Commune. Thanks to the post-earthquake rebuilding efforts, Canebola is now a beautiful and lively mountain village.

Valle di Soffumbergo

VALLE di Soffumbergo

abitants: 13
height on sea: 678 mt

Valle is also called “a view on Friuli”. Like all the other villages nearby, it has ancient origins. During the past centuries, it belonged to the Soffumbergo feud, which was owned by the Aquileia Church. The village developed around the San Pietro Church, dating back to the XVIIIth century. Most of its buildings are renovated country houses, used mainly as holiday resorts (For information on activities in Valle:



abitants: 29
height on sea: 315 mt

Stremiz was first quoted and heard of in 1294. Its territory was under the Cucagna jurisdiction, starting from the XIIIth Century. This country village consists of some sparse buildings, built along the streets and around the tiny square, in which a beautiful fountain from the XIXth Century shows itself. In the past, four mills were there. Three of them survive and near two of them, by the source of the Grivò torrent, there is a stone bridge of Roman origin.



abitants: 22
height on sea: 389 mt

Costapiana is a very small village, along the road to Canebola. It’s an ancient neighborhood, although it’s quite difficult to clearly understand its actual origins. Not too far from it, lies the neighborhood of Gradischiutta, 364 meters above the sea level, whose name means “fortified place” or “castle ruins”. It was probably built on the ruins of an ancient fort.

Colloredo di Soffumbergo

COLLOREDO di Soffumbergo

abitants: 21
height on sea: 273 mt

Colloredo was first quoted in 1501 as Villa Coloreti Soffumbergi. Its name has Latin origins and it is supposed to mean “walnut wood”. Like nearby villages, the Colloredo history had strong ties with the Soffumbergo Castle. These days, it is a small village, mainly known for its wine production.



abitants: 6
height on sea: 593 mt

Costalunga was first quoted in 1353, but not unlike Canebola, even more ancient origins can be guessed. It was initially under the Cucagna jurisidiction, but later it was under the Soffumbergos. It is situated on a hill between the Grivò, Faedis and Raschiacco valleys. In recent years, the village has been completely restored, becoming a precious rural neighborhood.



abitants: 1
height on sea: 754 mt

Pedrosa was first mentioned around the half of the XIVth Century. This small suburb was usually mentioned alongside Costalunga, in relation to a few historical facts regarding the Cucagna household.



abitants: 4
height on sea: 684 mt

Similarly to Canebola, Clap probably originated during the Slavic migration time. The village is now unhabited, even if some of its houses were restored after the 1976 earthquake, and are still used as summer holiday resorts. Actually, this is an ideal place to relax and be in touch with nature.

The main suburbs are: Casali De Luca e Case Cos (between Ronchis and Faedis), Borgo Scubla e Canal del Ferro di sotto e di sopra (between Faedis and Canal di Grivo'),
Canale (near Campeglio), Case Prà della Roggia e Case Presa (south of Campeglio)